Monday 28 November 2016

 This past week was full of firsts, fun times and adventures.. and sometimes all three at once. Last Saturday we headed for our week away in Kenya! First we stopped in Kisii, a 6 hour drive from Mwanza, to spend the night and visit some of Julius' family. We got to attend Julius' parents church on Sunday which was a huge highlight for me of our time in Kisii. There is something so incredibly amazing about being able to worship along side people who you not only just met, but who speak a different language then you. To be praising the same, incredible God in different languages. I don't even have the words to properly express what I am attempting to explain. All I can say is that it was amazing. Our God is amazing.
After church we piled back into the car for another 6 hour drive to Nairobi.

We spent the week visiting friends, family, and playing tourist around Nairobi. It was so much fun!!! I'm trying to think of “highlights of the trip” or “cool and interesting things that happened” or “what I learned” but honestly there was too much awesome to explain without making this post WAY to long. Nairobi is the capital city of Kenya, and comparable to the city of Toronto (with twice as many people). The one thing that Nairobi has that Toronto doesn't is a national park! That's right. Right in the city! Although we didn't go on a real safari, we did take a safari walk which was super nice! The weather was perfect and of course the animals were super awesome and it made me even more excited for the safari we are going on in January.

He never moved... I still think it was a statue. 

Wednesday was probably the craziest day for me. Julius and I took a total of 4 different Matatu's (taxis- like Dala Dalas, but bigger and busier) to get to/ from the market. The market was crazy! A) It was pretty busy and very crowded,  B) all throughout there are people working extremely hard making things to sell which C) makes you want to buy everything. I am so thankful for Julius who didn't have to go to the craft market, or take a Matatu to get there for that matter, but took me so that I would get to experience as much of Nairobi- the real Nairobi- as I could while I was there. Seriously Jade and Julius rock! They let me tag along visiting their family and friends, they answer all of my a million questions, and I am honestly so thankful for them.
"Ezra come take a picture with me!" "I don't want toooo"


After a fun filled week, Sunday at 6am we piled back into the car and left for our 12 hour drive home. That's what it felt like; coming home. Being away for a week made me realize that Mwanza really does feel like my “home for now.” The house where we live, the routine we've created, the kids at the school, the friends I've made- I missed them. As a good friend of mine put it, this feeling is kind of scary- coming home to a place that isn't your actual home- but it's also pretty incredible, and reminds me that our God is amazing, that He is with us and working in us no matter where we are.

Emily

Dinner with friends!

The view from Julius' parents place

No comments:

Post a Comment